Friday, May 13, 2011

Flashback Friday- Beshizzle my Flizzle


It was 25 years ago today that my little pookie roommate was born.

Flashback 16 years to the summer of hell.
The scene: Camp Sabra. Age: 8.

I was away from home for the first time and was terrified. Things quickly went from bad to worse. I wasn't allowed to be in the camp play. My counselor had epilepsy. There was a wasp nest above my bed. ....and me and my bunkmate, Liz Beshears, hated each other. We bickered and fought- one time she threw batteries at my face and I punched her in the head.

But an unlikely thing made the summer a little bit easier. It was my crazy roommate, Lizzy Beshears, the one who I punched and fought with. Because after each day of fighting and yelling and not getting along- she'd let me sleep in her bunk with her because I was so homesick. Every day we'd fight, every night I'd sleep in her bed. She even let me hold her stuffed animals.

So from the time I was 8, I have always had a soft spot for Lizzy Beshears.

Flashback 10 years to confirmation class.

Flashback 7 years to college.

Then flashback to a year ago when she became my roommate.

It's been a lifetime of knowing each other and the whole time, I always knew her secret of being a softy that shared her stuffed animals.

So happy birthday to one of the sweetest, most caring people I know, Lizzy Sheila Fliz Bookie Beshears. Thanks for giving me one of the best years of my life. Sorry about that head punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment