Thursday, May 5, 2011

Reasons I love New York

I interrupt my normal, mindless, glittery banter because I felt kind of weird posting fashion recaps with the recent events going unmentioned.

So...

I'm not pretending like I know or have any idea. But I walk the same streets that people ran through, I work in an office that was covered in the dust, I live by the fire houses with too many lost brother plaques hung in honor.

I'm not pretending like I know or have any idea. But this city is now a part of me. This is my taxi driver and coffeestand man and coworker and neighbor. I know the people and feel the flow and have become a part of the pulse.

I'm not pretending like I know or have any idea. But I believe this isn’t a time for celebrating in the streets. It’s a time for the country to reflect and honor and show respect for those who died. Like President Obama said moments ago just a few blocks from where I’m sitting, “This is a moment of justice.”

The events of the past are always running through my head, I don’t forget them. So on a day like today, I stand as a (new) New Yorker to reflect and honor and show respect for the justice that was served. Just one of the reasons I love New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment