Friday, January 15, 2010

Nyle: Let the Beat Build

It is with great pleasure that I introduce you to my favorite video of 2009. Try to watch this without getting chills. Several months ago my friend Paulina told me about her buddy from NYU that made this amazing video. Leading to my least productive day at ABC by far- I must have watched this about 20 times. In a row. The song is a cover of the Lil' Wayne song "Let The Beat Build." The rapper named Nyle, an NYU senior at the time, won a $2000 scholarship and the chance to record in the Clive Davis Recording Studio at NYU. Using a Red camera and a steady cam (both incredibly impressive) this video is the real deal. All of this aside you need to know just two things about this video that blow me away:

1) There are no cuts in the ENTIRE video, meaning this whole thing was done in one take. It's called a long shot. ONE TAKE. It took them 30 tries to get it right. This is incredibly hard to pull off in the first place- add tons of musicians and people jumping around- annnnnd cue the chills.

ready for the even better part?

2) They recorded the music simultaneously as they filmed. Notice everyone is playing/singing into microphones. Usually music videos are just added on top of the studio recorded music (and that music has been mastered and edited) this was done as we watch it- without a cut in sight. CHILLS I tell you. Oh and every musician you see is from NYU.



My friend Emily is sitting next to me as I write this. She says her favorite part is how you get to see every sound that you hear- what is your favorite part?

1 comment:

  1. My favorite part is the awkwardness of the dancing girl. But my actual favorite part is definitely when the banjo girl comes in. That's awesome. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete