Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fun with decorating


Let's take a moment to talk about decorating on a budget, shall we? Because it truly is one of the greatest things in the world. Right behind puppies and ice cream and hot cocoa on a cold day...next comes Do It Yourself decorating projects. Yes, I understand decorating NOT on a budget would probably be more fun. But whatever, I'm never one to shy away from a challenge.
Someday I want to have a business where I transform items in peoples houses and completely change them from what they used to be. I digress.

One of the most fabulous mediums to work with in DYI projects is: MAGAZINES!! They can fit anyones taste, they're cheap and they're so colorful. Just think out of the box a little and you can totally transform any space. Here are some of my favorite 'zine projects:


This beautiful piece is hanging in Samantha's kitchen. It's the first thing you see when you walk in the apartment. So amazing, abstract, and professional looking. Major props girl.


In my current bedroom. Top frame is composed of old Rolling Stone mags, bottom is Vogue.

This project was inspired by my collection of years worth of Rolling Stones. I wanted to do something with them and I finally came up with this idea. It took me 3 years and 3 apartment moves to finally finish it (I lugged all of the supplies to each place). In total the project only actually took about an hour to complete, that's how bad I procrastinate. I'm ridiculous.



Materials:
  • 2 inch hole punch
  • Fun magazines
  • I used empty album frames to display my magazine dots but you can use anything- the website where I got the idea from used the dots as a backsplash in a kitchen.


Magazine EXPLOSION- my old bathroom in Kansas City. I found awesome vintage LIFE magazines for $4 each in Westport, KS. After my Spray Paint Your Bathroom Walls Hot Pink project didn't go as planned I decided to go decoupage crazy with the magazines. I enlisted friends to help me and each worked on their own piece of wall so the esthetic varied from area to area. I loved it. However, whoever put the spam ad next to the toilet...that was a terrible idea.




Materials:

6 magazines at $4 each
3 friends
1 can of polyurethane
1 can of wallpaper glue
paint brushes


Zebra stripe painted walls post is coming up soon! Stay tuned!



No comments:

Post a Comment