Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The happiest time of year

The happiest time of the year...FOR FOOD!!!! Ok the real happiest time of the year for food is Thanksgiving (and all of those yummy holiday parties in December) but ohhh goodness, Super Bowl Sunday is rapidly approaching and I can taste the dips already.

I love everything about Super Bowl Sunday. I love the friends, the football, THE COMMERCIALS, and all of that glorious food. Chicken wings, pizza, the dips, my friend Paulina is making a football shaped cake. It's just too much, really. And it seems that I have no self control to eat terribly when there is any sort of holiday being celebrated. (Oh it's your dog's birthday? Why yes, I'd love a cupcake). Saints vs. Colts? BRING ON THE DIPS.

The best dips of all time:

Ok I don't have a name for this and I really should name it because it seems to diminish the importance of this dip. People, this is the best dip in the world. The first time I had it was tailgating for a KU football game and my friends mom made it. The ENTIRE party of people abandoned the two full kegs and were standing around the table attacking this dip. I also credit it for making me love black beans and cumin.

I don't have a picture of it because the last time I made this I was not Super Blogger Lara (aka one who now photographs all of her food). I don't care if you don't like some of the ingredients in it. MAKE THIS DIP. Your mouth will thank me later.

Black Bean and Corn Dip

1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups corn
1 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tbs red wine vinegar
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper
Tortilla chips

In a large bowl, combine the beans, corn, peppers and onion. Combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, vinegar and seasonings; pour over corn mixture and toss gently to coat. Serve with tortilla chips. Refrigerate leftovers. Yields 4 cups.

This kid loves the dip.

Ok this next dip sounds really gross because it kind of is. IF YOU LIKE DELICIOUS, AMAZING GROSS FOOD. My aunt made this for a hotel hospitality suite at one of my cousin's bar mitzvah's... I think...I don't know but for like 15 years this bad boy has been my favorite thing to eat for the Super Bowl. I bought a mini-crock pot in college just so I could make this- is that weird? If I were Oprah I'd totally pass this out to the whole audience and scream VELVEEEEETAAA DIPPPPPP.

These ingredients can be found grouped together in every grocery store right now because it's a very famous and fabulous recipe. It can also be found on the Rotel and Velveeta boxes.

Velveeta/ Rotel Dip:

1/2 to 1 whole block of Velveeta cheese (I usually start with a half and then add a little more as I go along)
1 lb ground beef
1 can (maybe 2? I don't remember, read the can it will tell you) Rotel tomatoes WITH the green chilis
Crock pot

Brown the ground beef. While you're doing that cut the Velveeta up into 1 inch cubes so that they will melt faster. Add to the crock pot. Add ground beef and Rotel tomatoes and turn the crock pot to low. Stir occasionally. The amount of cheese and beef can be adjusted to taste. I like mine beefier :) Serve in the crock pot with a ladle and a basket of tortilla chips. YUM.


I totally just stole this picture off google images search: velveeta dip

Other recipes and pictures I just gently borrowed with love from the Noble Pig site, she just did an entire Super Bowl post and I died a little bit.


Buffalo Chicken Dip
I had this at a party a while ago, it was incredible.
Recipe HERE

Kahlua- Pecan- Brown Sugar Baked Brie
Umm ya...recipe HERE

Pull Apart Bacon Bread
The newest contender for the website: This Is Why You're Fat
Recipe HERE because you know you're curious


Go Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment